Sleep Apnea Treatments
More than 40 million Americans are estimated to suffer from a sleep breathing disorder and 20 million suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). Despite the high prevalence, 93% of women and 82% of men with moderate to severe OSA remain undiagnosed, according to the National Sleep Foundation.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is a physical condition caused by the airway collapsing or blockage. The result is an interruption or stoppage in breathing that lasts for at least 10 seconds or more. Sleep Apnea is considered severe when it occurs every 2-3 minutes.
According to the National Sleep Foundation:
- About 1 in 4 men and 1 in 10 women suffer from Sleep Apnea
- Some 17% of middle aged people have moderate apnea
- Middle aged people with severe Apnea were 46% more likely to die of a heart attack
- There are more than 20 million OSA patients, only 5% of which have been diagnosed and treated
- Breathing problems for as little as 11 minutes a night double the risk of death
- Habitual Snoring affects roughly 24% of adult women and 40% of adult men
- Loud snoring can be a sign of serious Sleep Apnea
Diagnosing Sleep Apnea used to be an expensive and inconvenient process requiring an overnight stay in a sleep lab or hospital. We can now do home sleep testing in your normal home environment that offers many advantages to the laboratory setting.
Many times, Sleep Disorders, TMJ problems and Headache issues cannot be diagnosed and treated as completely separate entities. Often patients present with sleep disorders but also have corresponding headache and temporomandibular joint dysfunction problems. Many dentists fail to recognize the interrelationship between these problems and the fact that it is never as simple as just putting an oral appliance in the patient’s mouth to reposition the lower jaw forward in hopes of opening the patient’s airway.
Our goal at the Denver Institute for Headache, TMJ and Sleep Disorders is to first help you be accurately diagnosed then prescribe the appropriate treatments that are necessary to alleviate your problems . If you know of anyone experiencing the signs and symptoms below, please know there is hope and conservative treatment alternatives.